Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2013 Resolutions

I suppose it shouldn't come as such a surprise, but I realized today that the last post I wrote was exactly one year ago. I think I said things about 2012 being the year of  "working through stuff." And that it was, more than I expected, or wanted, or asked for. I'm thankful for the hard things that happened, but also very excited about 2013. I don't expect it to be less difficult, but I do feel more ready to simply be... happy. Less stressed. Love Jesus more. Focus on people more. Rest more. Take care of my body.

As for my resolutions from last year, I'm going to put a great big check mark on these: 3 (good, but stuck with the free version), 4 (awesome), 10 (moved in 7/27/12), 11 (mostly in small ways), 13 (thank you cards count, right?), 14 (sort of), and 15 (kind of). For the next year, the resolutions are as follows:

1. Get fit. Again. Activities may include, but are not limited to:  tennis, volleyball, Just Dance, Dance central, random workout routines from Pinterest, Zumba, Pilates, buying a super expensive hybrid bike (and riding it), growing my own food, becoming a fan of vegetables, and random dance fests in my room.

2. Loving Jesus more. (This really should have been first. Did I mention that these are in no particular order?) Activities may include, but are not limited to: reading my Bible, listening to sermons by Steven Furtick, attending Eastview every week, staying involved in Jr. High ministry, living in community with my small group, filling my ipod with good worship music, and giving more than I think I can.

3. Spending my time more wisely. This may mean: spending less time on Facebook (I'm taking the month of January off), spending less time on the internet in general, spending time exercising with more focus, spending more time in the Word, saying no to more social events, and generally planning better. I also need to spend a whole lot less time in front of the tube.

4. Becoming more financial secure. This means going on a spending fast so that I can double my standard student loan payment. This will hurt. But I'm also oddly excited. I may even go through the Financial Peace University course at Eastview this spring. I built a new budget in Excel today and was nearly ecstatic. Once I reach my goal for the end of this year, I'll be ready to start saving for braces/invisalign (SO excited for that to be on next year's resolution list).

5. Being me. Over this last year its become very clear that I spend far too much time trying to conform to others' expectations of me. It's time to live with more conscious effort at being the person God made me to be, not what others want me to be. That will require more quiet time, more time reading, and more willingness to be uncomfortable trying out new behaviors. I'm going for more love and truth and grace, not less.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I wondered if you had made some this year! Awesome resolutions. You are always an inspiration to me.

Miss you.