Thursday, January 03, 2013

Day 3

I'm on day three of my Facebook fast. Nothing strange has happened, except that I have this very odd desire to 'update my status' - something that I was never interested in before. I want to say things like "so glad to finally be feeling better!!" or "making tacos!!" But Facebook will survive with my updates. And so will I.

I've been thinking about my resolutions, and specifically the one about loving Jesus. I was describing my two best friends from high school to another friend, and I said something like "they loved Jesus very much." It got me to thinking about what I would have said about myself at that age. Or even now. And I think I would say that I was very hesitant about loving Jesus, mainly because I was still learning about what love means, and how deep God's love is.

Guarded. That might be a good word to describe my current relational style. I know that because of how long it took me to write this sentence. Everything is filtered. And there's something to be said for not wearing your heart on your sleeve, especially when it comes to social media. But there has to be a balance. A point where you are living from an authentic place, where you are not afraid to show your true self, but still have the wisdom to keep some things to yourself. That's my goal.

No comments: